Interlibrary Loan Borrowing
Interlibrary Loan services at Sherman Public Library will return in September.
- In some cases, the lending library will not allow renewals of their materials.
- The lending library may prohibit photocopying from the materials provided.
- The lending library may recall the item at any time regardless of the due date.
- The lending library may restrict the material to library use only.
- If an item cannot be located at any of the libraries in the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) system, the request will be canceled. Usually as many as 15 libraries are asked before the request is canceled.
- If the publication date of an item is within the past year, the request may be canceled.
- If the title cannot be found in standard verification tools, the request may be canceled.
- A fine of $0.50 per day will be imposed for the late return of Interlibrary Loan materials. An additional charge may be added if an item is returned to the book drop instead of the reference desk. Overdue items must be returned and all fines paid before another request will be processed. Repeated failure to abide by due dates for ILLs may result in the suspension of borrowing privileges.
- Most ILLs are free. However, some libraries do charge for the service. Every effort will be made to obtain materials from libraries that do not charge. In the event that the item is only available from a library that charges, the patron will be notified to see if they are willing to pay for the service.
- The cost for lost or damaged Interlibrary Loan material is determined by the lending library and is the responsibility of the patron who initiated the request. Charges generally include the price of the book plus a processing fee.
- Loan periods are determined by the lending library.
- Requests for renewals may be made but must be done at least seven days before the due date.
- Requests for renewals must be made through either the reference librarian or the reference clerk. Renewals through the Sherman Public Library BARR system are not accepted.
- Any patron with a valid Bibliographic Association of the Red River (BARR) card may request materials. The patron card must be current and have no fines or overdue materials. The card must have been issued for at least six weeks before requests will be accepted. The patron must have a working phone number. Message phone numbers are not acceptable.
- A wide range of materials, including books, articles from periodicals, software, DVDs, VHSs and CDs may be requested. However, it may not always be possible to locate a particular item from a library that will lend it. Materials that may be difficult to obtain include:
- Audiovisual materials
- Books published within the last year
- Rare materials
- Reference / genealogy materials
- No more than four requests per patron may be requested at one time. It is the responsibility of the patron to bring in the subsequent titles when more than four titles are needed.
- The patron must wait at least one month before again requesting the same title.
- Requests for each item must be made on the appropriate Interlibrary Loan (ILL) form and submitted to the reference desk. Requests by phone are accepted.
- The request form must be filled out legibly and as completely as possible. The patron information must be complete. Sufficient information to identify the item is required. The minimum information needed would be title, author, date of publication and edition when applicable. When requesting photocopies of magazine articles the following is required: the name of the periodical, volume number, issue number, title of article and page number(s) when applicable.