Municipal Court COVID-19 Operational Changes
Notice of In-Person Postponement
All in-person court proceedings have been postponed indefinitely.
The Municipal Court windows are open with the following modifications:
- Face Coverings will be required at all times. If the individual does not have a face mask or cloth face covering, a disposable face mask will be provided.
- Social Distancing - A limited number of people will be allowed inside the building at one time. Do not bring additional persons with you unless they are needed for physical assistance or language interpreting.
Many times citations can be resolved without a court appearance. Customers are encouraged to handle pending cases remotely (mail, phone, email or online).
You must contact the court to schedule a virtual court appearance by email email@example.com or phone at 903-892-7295.
Defendants can appear via a video conference with the Judge using ZOOM on either your computer or smart device. Please notify the court by email or phone prior to your scheduled court day so required paperwork may be completed prior to the court time. Handwriting must be legible to be accepted. You must return the paperwork to the court prior to your virtual court date using one of the methods below:
Drop off at Court office Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm: 405 N Rusk, Sherman, Texas.
Drive-through Drop Box 24/7: 405 N Rusk, Sherman, Texas, Utility drop box on the north side of the building. Seal paperwork in an envelope labeled “Municipal Court”
Mail: City of Sherman
P.O. Box 1106
Sherman, TX 75091-1106
You must install the free ZOOM App on your device prior to your Virtual Court Appearance date. Download the ZOOM App from the Google Play or App Store to your mobile device. For PC/MAC/Laptop, go to the ZOOM homepage and follow the Join a Meeting link. You will need to obtain a meeting ID from the Court prior to the scheduled Court time.
Neither Court nor City staff can provide tech support at any time. Please contact your provider or ZOOM for technical assistance.
Requirements for Virtual Court:
- A device capable of accessing an internet connection (PC, MAC, Smart Phone, Tablet, etc.).
- A fast and stable internet connection.
- A webcam or a built-in camera on your device that will allow the Judge to see you during the video conference.
- A microphone connected or built-in that will allow you to talk to the Judge and your device must also have speakers attached or built-in that will allow you to hear what the Judge is saying to you.
- A working email address and phone number to ensure future successful contact with the Court. You may also need to email images or documents to the court or for the Judge's review.
- Paperwork has been completed and returned to the Court. Handwriting must be legible.
If you are unable to fulfill any of the above requirements, contact the court for alternative arrangements.
Virtual Courtroom Guidelines
Failure to follow the guidelines will prompt the Court Bailiff to remove the Defendant from the virtual courtroom until compliance is achieved.
· Dress code - Inappropriate attire will not be permitted. Dress code is the same as if you were appearing in-person in the courtroom.
· Avoid background noise and distractions - Ensure your environment is conducive to attend virtually. Turn off and put away other devices (T.V., radio, etc.) so you can give your full attention to the
· Do NOT record these proceedings.
· Proper respect for the Court process shall be adhered to at all times.
Expectations at your Virtual Court Appearance:
· Set aside at least 30-60 minutes of your time for the hearing.
· If you have a language barrier or disability requiring a special accommodation including translation services, contact the Court at least 72 hours before your Virtual Court Appearance
For any questions, or to be scheduled for a virtual court appearance, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 903-892-7295.
Individuals scheduled for a virtual court appearance should go to the Sherman Virtual Court Room and enter the Meeting ID obtained from the Court at the assigned date and time. You will be checked in with the clerk and placed in a Virtual waiting room. You will be called in one by one to speak with the Judge.
- If you will NOT be able to appear, you must contact the Court before your scheduled date to discuss options and/or request a reset.