COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Program
THE EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM IS CURRENTLY SUSPENDEND, PENDING ADDITIONAL FUNDING. ANY NEW APPLICATIONS WILL BE ADDED TO A WAIT LIST.
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) provided $215,775 in supplemental Community Development Block Grant (CDBG-CV) funding to the City of Sherman to respond to the coronavirus.
Effective June 9, 2020 the Neighborhood Services Department will begin accepting applications from eligible households for assistance under the COVID-19 EMERGENCY ASSITANCE PROGRAM.
The principal factors to be considered in receiving assistance are:
- Applicant is a resident of Sherman
- Applicant is at or below 80% of the current area median income lists for the Sherman-Dension, Texas statistical area
- Applicant can demonstrate assistance is required as a result of impacts from the virus
- Applicant can demonstrate loss of household income
- Applicant can demonstrate benefits under this program are not duplicative
or by mail to: Neighborhood Services, 405 N Rusk St., Sherman, TX 75092
or can be dropped of with the Utility Office on the first floor of the Municipal building located at 405 N Rusk St, Sherman, TX 75092
Households must demonstrate a financial hardship – due temporary or permanent loss of employment income due to covid-19.
Documents to included with the application may include, but not limited to:
- Paystubs showing employment status on or after February 29, 2020 or a statement from employer
- Documentation of all income for all household members. For example, unemployment, social security, disability, pension, alimony, child support, etc.)
- Self-Declaration Form (Attachment A) for all adult household members if you report no income.
- Release of information Form (Attachemnt B)
- Current Lease (showing monthly rent)
- Statement from Landlord showing arrearage/amount due
- Statement from Utility Provider (showing amount needed)
Rental assistance may not be provided to households currently receiving a federal housing subsidy or living in federally subsidized housing unit/complex or any housing that has a federally insured mortgage including Assisted Housing Programs administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Office of Multifamily Housing Programs, Public Housing, Section 8 –Housing Choice Voucher Program, Multifamily Housing Properties Insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA), Multifamily Rental Units Receiving Project Based Rental Assistance, Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) Program, Single-Family Housing Mortgage insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA).