CDBG Subrecipient Material

Subrecipient Application for Funding

Applications for Program Year 2024 Projects opens April 1, 2024 and are due Friday, April 26, 2024.  For questions, please contact Jana Garner,, 903-487-5976.

CDBG Program Year 2023 Application

CDBG Organization Information Form

Explore CDBG

For information about the Community Development Block Grant Program, visit Explore CDBG, HUD’s online technical assistance page.


The Community Development Block Grant application for funding will be used to determine the eligibility of proposed projects.  Please read and follow the instructions carefully.

All Program Year 2023 projects should be completed within a twelve (12) month period from October 1, 2023 to September 30, 2024.  

Any organization submitting an application must provide services to the low income residents of Sherman.  

Rules and Record Keeping Requirements

The following will apply to all applicants:

  1.  Written records to justify all expenditures and client eligibility must be retained for the longer of 3 years after the expiration or termination of the subrecipient agreement under 24 CFR 570.503, or 3 years after the submission of the annual performance and evaluation report in which the specific activity is reported on for the final time.  Records will be reviewed by the City and also may be reviewed by HUD.
  2. Subrecipients will be required to maintain the City’s minimum insurance standards and comply with the bonding and insurance requirements outlined in 2 CFR 200.
  3. Subrecipients must agree to administer the CDBG program in accordance with 2 CFR Subpart E - Cost Principles.
  4. Subrecipients will be required to provide quarterly reports stating the total number of persons served including their race, ethnicity, and whether they are female heads of household.  These figures are required to be reported by HUD.
  5. Subrecipients will be required to obtain written proof of income for each person or household whom subrecipients assist unless the clients are abused children, battered spouses, severely disabled adult, homeless persons, illiterate adults, persons with AIDS, migrant farm workers, or elderly.
  6. Subrecipients must have a written policy in place designed to ensure that their facilities are free from the illegal use, possession, or distribution of drugs or alcohol.
  7. If any income is derived from the activities funded by CDBG, that income must be accounted for and returned to the City or used according to requirements stated in the subrecipient agreement.
  8. In the event that HUD or the City should determine that CDBG funds were improperly spent and that money should be reimbursed to the U.S. Treasury, the subrecipient organization will be responsible for this reimbursement.

Community Development Block Grant Eligible Activities

The following activities may be funded by the Community Development Block Grant, so long as they meet one or more of the National Objectives (benefit low- and moderate-income (LMI) persons; aid in the prevention or elimination of slums or blight; and meet a need having a particular urgency):    

  • Senior Services - Services that will be provided to elderly persons (e.g., meals-on-wheels, transportation).
  • Services for the Disabled - Services for persons with disabilities, regardless of age.
  • Legal Services - Includes programs that provide legal aid to low- and moderate-income persons.
  • Youth Services - Services for youth that include, for example, recreational services or a teen counseling program. If a counseling program is targeted for youth, but includes counseling for the family as well, it may still be classified as a youth service if the focus is on counseling the youth.
  • Transportation Services - Services provided to low- and moderate-income persons.
  • Substance Abuse Services - Services for substance abuse recovery programs as well as prevention and education activities.
  • Services for Battered and Abused - Services for programs serving adults or families.
  • Employment Training - Services for assistance that increases self-sufficiency. This includes literacy, independent living skills, job training, and employment service activities.
  • Crime Awareness / Prevention - For any program that promotes these goals, including crime prevention education and pay for security guards.
  • Fair Housing Activities (subject to Public Service cap) - For fair housing services (e.g., counseling on housing discrimination)
  • Tenant/Landlord Counseling - For counseling provided to help prevent or settle disputes that occur between tenants and landlords.
  • Child Care Services - For services that will benefit children (generally under age 13), including parenting skills classes.
  • Health Services - Health services activities include the operation of neighborhood clinics, post-rape counseling, vermin abatement service (also known as "vector control"), and other activities designed to serve the health needs of residents.
  • Services for Abused and Neglected Children - For daycare or other services exclusively for abused and neglected children.
  • Mental Health Services - For activities designed to address the mental health needs of residents of the community.
  • Screening for Lead Poisoning - For activities designed primarily to provide screening for (not removal of) lead-based paint and other lead poisoning hazards.
  • Subsistence Payment - For activities designed to provide one-time or short-term (no more than three months) emergency grant payments on behalf of an individual or family, generally for the purpose of preventing homelessness. 

Public Service Ineligible Activities

The following activities may not be assisted with Community Development Block Grant Funds:

  • The purchase of equipment, fixtures, motor vehicles, furnishings, or other personal property not an integral structural fixture is generally ineligible.
  • The construction of new permanent residential structures is not eligible, unless done by a HUD-qualified non-profit organization. Purchase of land on which to build affordable homes, however, is an eligible activity.
  • CDBG funds may not be used for political purposes, to engage in partisan political activities, or for lobbying of local, state, and federal legislators.
  • Long term subsistence payments (longer than three months) for such needs as rent and utilities are not eligible.
  • Landscaping and tree trimming are not eligible expenses.