Civilians wishing to ride with an officer of the City of Sherman must adhere to the following guidelines:
- The Officer's decision to the extent of your involvement in situations is absolute.
- You will not bring any alcoholic beverages into a police vehicle or anywhere on the police property. You will not consume any alcoholic beverages during or within 12 hours preceding your "Ride-Along" tour.
- You will refrain from involving yourself in physical struggle or verbal argument with persons encountered by the Officer during the tour; however, if the Officer decides that your assistance is necessary and requests such assistance of you, you are bound by law to come to the Officer's aid.
- You will not divulge any information that is considered confidential or privileged communications.
- Do not operate or use any police or departmental equipment or vehicle or any item in police custody or control except in case of an emergency or when requested to do so by a police officer.
- Although you may be a concealed handgun license holder, you are not permitted to carry a handgun on or about your person while participating in the "Ride-Along" program.
- If you are not a licensed, certified, and employed peace officer and you are found to be armed with any firearm or prohibited weapon, your request will be automatically denied. You may also be subject to arrest for any such violation as per the Texas Penal Code.
- You will remain in the police vehicle during traffic stops and all calls for service unless specifically directed to do otherwise by a police officer. Do not enter the booking area under any circumstances unless directly and specifically authorized to.
- You will dress in a businesslike manner. No jeans and/or T-shirts are acceptable. No clothing can be worn that displays any product, business, organization, or any sign or symbol that could be considered derogatory to any person. Commissioned officers from other agencies may not wear their agency uniform.
- You are limited to one eight (8) hour tour within a thirty (30) day period. Relatives of officers are limited to one eight (8) hour tour within a six (6) month period.
- You will remain with your assigned officer for the entire tour and you will begin / end your observation ride at the police station, unless you are a City Official.