City Manager's Office
The City of Sherman is a home rule municipality of the State of Texas, operating under the council-manager form of government.
The city manager serves as the chief administrative officer of the city, responsible to the council for the administration of all city affairs placed in his charge by or under the city charter. The city manager and deputy city manager work closely with the City Council and the department directors to ensure the highest quality of life to the residents and businesses of Sherman. The duties include the following:
- Appoint all department heads, subject to the approval of the council.
- Attend all council meetings, with the right to take part in the discussion, but not to vote.
- Direct and supervise the administration of all departments, offices and agencies of the city, except as otherwise provided by the city charter or by law.
- Ensure that all laws, provisions of the charter and acts of the council, subject to enforcement by the city manager or by officers subject to the city manager's direction and supervision, are faithfully executed.
- Keep the council fully advised as to the financial condition and future needs of the city, and make such recommendations to the council concerning the affairs of the city as deemed desirable.
- Make such other reports as the council may require concerning the operations of city departments, offices and agencies subject to the city manager's direction and supervision.
- Perform such other duties as are specified in the charter or as may be required by the council.
- Prepare and submit the annual budget and capital program to the council.
- Submit to the council, and make available to the public, a complete report of the finances and administrative activities of the city as of the end of each fiscal year.